Challenge: Spend Less Time on the Computer

People (used to) complain about watching too much TV and wasting your life away, but now that TV and movies have shifted online or onto harddrives, we have too much TV AND too much computer. I think out of all the challenges I have on 43Things, this will be one of the most difficult.

Almost none of the best memories I have in life were spent in front of a computer (except reconnecting with some people through social networking or Skype), yet I spend maybe 50% or more of my waking hours in front of a computer (my waking hours are about 16 in total. I absolutely need 8 hours of sleep.)
The worst for students is that now basically all essay writing (Microsoft Word), studying (PowerPoint presentations) and research is done online, so I can't really escape the computer.

All last year I had an office job where I sat in front of a computer all day and it was ugly, both for my body and my mind.
Even my current job requires me to do most of my research online.
So how am I going to get away from the computer?
First of all, let me define my goal the SMART way:

Specific - I think "turning off the computer" is pretty specific. It does not mean I can hibernate then go back on it at night.
Measurable - I want to cut down my total computer use (not just Internet use but computer) to 1.5 hours a day.
Attainable - People have lived for thousands of years not having a computer stuck to them daily. It's not like I won't have Internet, or other entertainment within my reach, and I will have other off-line projects to work on (baking, anyone?)
Realistic - Well, other than my research-oriented job and writing some stories on my computer, I don't have much else I absolutely need to do for more than 1.5 hours other than if I wanted to listen to music or watch a show. But this is a daily thing, so if I listen to 1 hour of music a day, then I'll just have to watch a show another day.
Timely - I want to do this by March. By then I will know more of what I'm doing when I move back in with my parents. Or, rather, less of what I'm doing...

So that's it. I can't really start the challenge until all my exams are done because that's just unfair to myself, but once I start I will allot some of my 1.5 hour quota to updating on here!

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire