Aguirre, the Boringness of God...

I apologize if the title offends anyone, but I was just playing on words.
Anyway, yesterday I was so stoked because my German film class was going to screen Werner Herzog's 1972 Aguirre, the Wrath of God. I love looking forward to watching classics because it's like eating a savoury full meal instead of chocolate cake for dinner.

Then last night I watched the film and though I liked the opening scene, that was it. Oh, I tell myself, am I not to be a movie fan? Another classic that I don't like.

Alas, maybe I had too high of an expectation for the film. I forced myself not to look at the clock on the wall, but time ticked on and on. I thought the runtime must've been 2.5 hours but when I checked this morning the maximum runtime was 1 h 40 min! It was that strenuous to watch.

You might say to me, "Maybe you just don't like arthouse films." Maybe not, but then I could list some arthouse films that I do like. "Maybe it's just that you grew up in the MTV generation." Maybe, but I like other slower-paced films. I'm just disappointed by this one. Unfortunately. Well, I've been watching mediocre films again lately but I'm always on the lookout for the next gem!

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire